Having an effective alliance hive is a huge key to success in both Clash of Kings and Clash of Kings: The West. There are multiple strategies people use to set up an alliance hive, and then there is the just port where you wish strategy. One of the biggest questions your alliance will face is do I want to protect my main or my farms. Farming is extremely popular, and almost required in the west due to the higher cost of upgrading. The 3 most common hive layouts are main castles on the outside with farms in the inside, farms on the outside with mains on the inside, or main castles surrounded by their own farms. Each one has its own perks and downfalls, and we will go over them so you can make a more educated decision on what works best for you.
1. Farms on the inside with mains surrounding.
– This is a very effective set up if you have a very well rounded, active, and strong alliance. The idea behind this is that your main castles act as a wall for your farms. It enables you to quickly shift to your farm alliance and reinforce farm castles much quicker. It also makes the enemy have to march much further to attack a farm, unless they use a destroy order in a nearby castle.
– This set up makes your main castles extremely vulnerable to attack and defense. If you have an incursion in the opposite side if the hive you will have a much longer march to reinforce.
2. Farms on the outside with mains on the inside
– This is my personal favorite. This enables very quick reinforcement with a wall of farms to protect you from the outside. In my personal opinion I would much rather lose resources than lose all of my troops, or have to spend a ton of the resources I have healing anyways. Even if an enemy uses a destroy order in the middle of your hive he will immediately be surrounded by the entire power of the alliance. You also have quick reinforcement capability to your farms directly behind you, but this is limited to how many members you have online at the time and where they are in the hive.
– This hive set up leaves your farms extremely vulnerable. Although you will be directly beside yours you may not be online and the person who is may not be able to reach your farm quick enough.
3. Main Surrounded by his own farms
-Quick clean out and reinforcement of your own farms.
-I love to find an alliance hive that is set up like this. 1 of 2 things will happen. The alliance will waste a ton of speed ups trying to reinforce, or they won’t care. This set up is more for the small, strong, and extremely active alliance. Primarily they will use their farms as a boost but buy resources for the most part. Hives that are set up like this are a recipe for disaster unless you are one of the strongest In the kingdom, and even then you will be farmed easily. This also singles out every main castle you have. I would not recommend this set up unless you are a big spender and resources are not an issue.
With that being said it is vital to have hospitals and embassies the same level as your castle even in your farms. The more you can reinforce the stronger you will be. An extremely strong and aggressive defense will overcome many in Clash of Kings. Happy Hunting!
Special thanks to EWODonnell for providing this great guide!